Wednesday, June 19, 2019

SSR- Week 8

Image result for picture of books



Sustained silent reading, or SSR is when students have an opportunity to read silently for pleasure in their classroom. One of the great things about SSR is students have an opportunity to read without having any tests or assessments that are attached to the reading. Allowing students to read for pleasure helps them find joy in reading. My goal is to teach in younger aged classrooms and ideally, I would have SSR in my classroom on a daily basis. I would like to have natural lighting and a relaxing atmosphere for my students to read in. Having a large variety of books and genres in my classroom is a goal of mine. If students are not able to read independently, I will read a chapter book daily for our SSR time. Making sure students are engaged and relaxed during SSR time is important for them to truly enjoy it, in my opinion. Helping students create their own love of reading and literacy is something that I hope to do in my future classroom. 


1 comment:

  1. I always looked forward to SSR, even when I was a college professor!

    ReplyDelete