Friday, May 10, 2019

Word Wall- Week #2




I really like word walls for younger grades. I've only seen word walls in the younger grade level classrooms- grades, K-3 and I feel like students utilize them well from my past observations. I absolutely think that word walls could be used in any classroom and now that I'm reflecting on this, it makes me wonder why I've never seen them in the upper grades. I spend most of my time in younger aged elementary classrooms, but will have to check out some upper grade levels for word walls. I think like all things in teaching, we must make word walls meaningful if we are going to use them. They might look cute and take up space on the wall, but without meaning, students won't utilize them. I think teachers must introduce the words before putting them up on the word wall and offer opportunities to use the words and learn about them as well. Helping students make meaning out of the word and relating the words to their everyday life will be beneficial. For example, the picture at the top of the page has the word "from" in it. Teaching students what from means and how to sound it out needs to be done before adding it to the word wall. Offering ways to use the word is important also. Making cards or invitations with the words "to" and "from" is just one way to make the word "from" meaningful. There are so many examples of word walls online and making one for your classroom that is pleasing to the eye and at eye level for students is also important. I plan on using a word wall in my future classroom and helping my students utilize it!

I think it's important to remember that word walls can be used for any content area. The example above is for math and I really like that it has words and visuals on it.


The word wall to the left with the post it notes on it is a way for students to be more involved. Students can write the words on a post it note and put in onto the word wall, which allows them to have a sense of ownership!

3 comments:

  1. Great finds! I love visuals, they make learning so much better in my opinion. The math word wall is fabulous. Word walls are such an important part of an elemetary classroom, I see kiddos use our word wall everyday and it makes me smile. The bigger and brighter the better😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love word walls for all grades. In some ways, I think HS could use them the most. I love all the ones you chose. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The are very good finds. I like the second one with showing the word then providing them with examples of the word. This would be great in a math classroom.

    ReplyDelete